Chefs Collaborative Statement of Principles
The Chefs Collaborative is a network of chefs, restaurateurs and other
culinary professionals who promote sustainable cuisine by teaching their
children, supporting local farmers, educating each other and inspiring their
customers to choose clean, healthy foods.
- Food is fundamental to life. It nourishes us in body and soul and the
sharing of food immeasurably enriches our sense of community.
- Good, safe, wholesome food is a basic human right.
- Society has the obligation to make good, pure food affordable and
accessible to all.
- Good food begins with unpolluted air, land and water, environmentally
sustainable farming and fishing and humane animal husbandry.
- Sound food choices emphasize locally grown, seasonally fresh and whole or
minimally processed ingredients.
- Cultural and biological diversity is essential for the health of the
planet and its inhabitants. Preserving and revitalizing sustainable food and
agricultural traditions strengthen that diversity.
- The healthy, traditional diets of many cultures offer abundant evidence
that fruits, vegetables, beans, breads and grains are the foundation of good
- As part of their education, children deserve to be taught basic cooking
skills and to learn the impact of their food choices on themselves, on their
culture and on their environment.
For further information about the Chefs Collaborative and about community
programs near you so that you may support their efforts, please contact them
at www.chefscollaborative.org; firstname.lastname@example.org or (617)
262 Beacon Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116
Phone: (617) 236-5200